Monday, January 26, 2004

"You were the best supporting actor, the unforeseen factor..."

"...you were the guy who pulled the chains behind the stage..."

Hey kids. It's a beautiful day today, here in the home of Super Bowl XXXVVIII...L...Q... something. Yeah, everyone in town's getting ready for the drama, pageantry, and hellacious traffic. If I were a cliche-using man, I'd say you could cut the tension with a knife. But that'd have to be a pretty *keen* knife (what an awful pun), cuz tension's not, you know, a physical thing.

*****

So yeah. Lots of unimportant announcements. Ready? Oh-Kay!

1) Captain Kangaroo died last Friday, at the age of 76. He is survived by his hetero life-partner Mr. Green Jeans and 4000 ping pong balls.

2) There are only TWO more episodes of the greatest show on television. Which is appropriate. No beating of dead horses here. But it's sad. Now there will be *nothing* worth watching on network TV. (No, really, there's nothing else worth watching.) But maybe that's a blessing in disguise. Gives me more time for important things. Like Medal of Honor: Frontline.

3) As of Saturday afternoon, I'm the proud "owner" of a brand new washer and dryer (and two years of payments). Which means I am now a fully-functional, independent young adult. Woo hoo! Time for cartoons.

4) I've decided that as genius as some of Monty Python's Flying Circus is, the *really* great bits can all be put on one hour and a half disc. I have come to this decision after almost seven hours of research.

5) The Lord is my Shepherd, and that rocks my face off.

6) I got phone calls from one of my best friends from OBU, and two friends in the Dallas area that I haven't heard from in a while, on Saturday night. Both calls reaffirmed that there are people who care about me and want the best for me. While I wasn't actually doubting this at the time, the affirmation was nice. You guys rock. See all three of you in March or thereabouts.

7) Return of the King won four Golden Globes (best score, best song, best director, best picture--drama), which makes me happy, because it means that Peter Jackson and the incredible people involved may finally get the love they deserve, come Oscar time. Mad props also, to Best Actor (comedy) winner Bill Murray, who is still one of the funniest guys I can think of.

7b.) Is Al Pacino trying desperately to hold onto his youth or what? Memo to Al: "The floppy hair in the eyes and ratty-half-ponytail only work for Johnny Depp, pal. I'm sorry. Get back to the 'Scent of a Woman' hair, or the Godfather III spiky buzz cut. None of this 'check-me-out-I'm-young-and-hip' business. You're a mature actor, for pete's sake. Do you see Jack Nicholson doing any of that crap? No sir! Have some self-respect, man! Thank you. Dave Mitchell, Fan."

7c.) Electroshock, anyone?

*****

So yeah, that's what's happening with me.

I know, I know, I'm supposed to have a movie review for you. I will...soon...even if it's just a review of a film in my personal collection. Just so there's something, right?

Patience, friends. Patience.

"Here's your day in the sun, Lou
See it now that you're done,
You are the luckiest man on the face of the earth..."

No comments: