Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Irritated and bemused

I had started a post earlier, which discussed my recent completion of Cold Mountain, at lunch, and then meandered into my general aversion of movie tie-in editions of books, that have a picture of the moviestars on the cover. I mentioned that I only owned two, Dracula (from the Francis Ford Coppola version) and Lord of the Rings (all-in-one edition with the creepy backlit Nazgul on the cover). Actually now that I think about it, I do own another, Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon, which features the grinning mug of Mr. Michael Douglas-Zeta Jones. (I'd be grinning too.)

But I was working on doing all these rad links to images of the covers, to demonstrate my point, when I had my Wednesday "big ugly" meeting. But the time I got back, my computer shut down. All the work lost. And because the big ugly meeting was uglier than usual, I just don't have the heart to go through it all again. Apologies.

But yeah, high recommendation of Cold Mountain. Beautiful, beautiful novel.

No comments: