Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Eleven (elven) Nominations to Rule Them All

Academy Award nominations came out today. There's quite a bit to discuss--the wicked snubbing Cold Mountain got from the Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay categories; the apparent obsession the Academy has with that stupid horse movie; and how the film with the second-most nominations is one of the most boring of the year.

As much as I want to cover all of them, I am leaving to meet my family for dinner. And I'm tired.

So I will only give you my predictions for who *will* (but not necessarily should) win the major categories. And anyone that wants to run an Oscar pool or make any category-specific wagers with me: I'm in for five bucks.

Best Actor Male: Bill Murray (Johnny Depp would get my runner-up vote; but where's Viggo?)

Best Actor Female: Charlize Theron (scary!)

Best Supporting Actor Male: Tim Robbins (I'd prefer anyone else...Orlando Bloom, Sean Astin... ANDY SERKIS!!!)

Best Supporting Actor Female: Renee Zellweger (from what I've heard, it should be Shoreh Aghdashloo)

Best Original Screenplay: Lost in Translation

Best Adapted Screenplay: Return of the King

Best Animated Film: Finding Nemo (duh)

Best Score: Return of the King

Best Song: "Into the West", Annie Lennox, Return of the King (although I'm pleased to see "A Mighty Wind" in this category)

Best Director: Pete Jackson (and it's about time!)

Best Picture: Return of the King (as if there were any doubt)

Every other category with Return of the King nominated: Return of the King

*****

I'll tell you what, that stupid Seabiscuit is lucky I'm not in the Academy. I'd make sure it was going down.

Place your bets, ladies and gents. The countdown is, at this moment, 33 days, 0 hours, 6 minutes and 13 seconds.

12...

11...

10...

No comments: