Monday, January 31, 2005

I'd like to have this weekend back, please.

I had trouble coming up with a Cool Ten this week, as I mentioned. The fact of it is, this weekend downright sucked at times. Allow me to illuminate:

--My sisters are sick. The older has strep. The younger has strep AND bronchitis. I got to babysit for the better part of Saturday, whilst the parents were running errands and enjoying an evening out. I did my best to entertain and take care of the sistren, but there's only so much you can do for sick kids. After a while, I just felt crap because I couldn't do anymore to help them until they went to the doctor the next day.

--Someone I love and respect made an incredibly racist remark on Saturday. I was shocked. Despite being raised by a man who didn't see Archie Bunker as satire, she still turned out okay. She's been a Christian for the majority of her life, and would consider herself rather devout. Then she comes up with a bitterly racist remark, and got angry when I called her on it. It just hurt me so much to have someone that i care so much about say something awful like that. A reminder that at our very best, we're all still broken human beings.

--And the finale: I went to the movies with a group of people, including my current crush. She brought three friends: one girl I'd met before and her cool boyfriend, and another guy, whom we shall name "Buck." Buck is a country fella from New Waverly (small town, about an hour away). I mean, jeans, plaid-ish shirt unbuttoned to the third button or so (boasting some serious chest hair), goatee and sideburns barely distinguishable from the week's growth of facial hair, a ball cap with a frayed bill and the word "Hick" emblazoned on the front. Said crush (whom we shall henceforth refer to as "NewGirl") and Buck knew each other from her last church home. Well, it became rather apparent that NewGirl and Buck were rather comfortable with each other. She teased him. She playfully pulled at the tuft of chest hair peeking out from his shirt. She would touch his arm from time to time. As he was telling a story, I watched her look at him, look him up and down a bit. *That* look. She sat next to him during the movie.

Am I imagining this? Making too much of it? Possibly. But as my good friend Bob says, you don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

So yes, coming up with ten cool things was tough today.

No comments: