Thursday, August 10, 2006

One book...

I don't do a lot of these "meme" thingies you kids like. But i've been "tagged." What can ya do?

For the record, most of these answers are ones i have given elsewheres. Just so you know.

Conditions: "The Bible" can't be any of the answers. Because it would fit in a few of these categories. This way, the temptation is gone, and so is the risk of "Sunday School answers."

1. One book that changed your life:
Tough question. I think "The Chronicles of Narnia" did (don't roll your eyes, bear with me) because I read the books repeatedly at a young age, and it really entrenched my love for story and meaning. The whole "myth-making" thing. Yeah. That's what I got from it.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
"Generation X" by Douglas Coupland. Also, "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
Either "The Lord of the Rings," the Complete Works of Shakespeare, or my "Literature of the Western World, Volumes 1 and 2" textbooks.

4. One book that made you laugh:
"A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers.

5. One book that made you cry:
"A Prayer for Owen Meany" had me tearing up for the last ten pages or so.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
Mine. But there's time yet.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Well, "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" made high school a very lonely time, thank you, JOSH HARRIS.

Kidding aside, I think the world could have done without the Gnostic "gospels." But then, without The DaVinci Code, what WOULD we Christians have had to talk about for the past two years?

8. One book you’re currently reading:
Dante's "Inferno." And i'm really digging it.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
"Will in the World" by Stephen Greenblatt. It's been on my "to be read" shelf for a while now, but i've never gotten around to it.

Tag: Will, Trevor, Ginger, Travis, and GDawney. And any of your booklovers who wants to jump in.

No comments: