Manders, the Queen of the "Thursday Thirteen," has come up with a genius list this week. So much so, that I am compelled--COMPELLED--to bring it over here. (I will do my best not to steal too many of hers, but she picked some great ones.)
Thirteen Favorite Movie Scenes/Sequences
1) Michael's fateful dinner with Sollozzo and Captain McCluskey in The Godfather.
2) Wesley and Inigo's duel in The Princess Bride.
3) The twist contest in Pulp Fiction.
4) Large's last speech to his father in Garden State.
5) Corky tells off the city council, in Waiting for Guffman.
6) The printer beatdown from Office Space.
7) Bill's truth serum/superhero speech in Kill Bill.
8) James Stewart's drunken visit to Cary Grant in The Philadelphia Story.
9) Willie plays "Sweet Caroline", in Beautiful Girls.
10) Aragorn's speech before the Black Gates, in Return of the King.
10a) "For Frodo."
10b) "I can't carry the ring for you...but I can carry you."
11) "El Tango de Roxanne" in Moulin Rouge. (absolutely, Manders)
12) When Paul tells off Holly at the end of Breakfast at Tiffany's.
13) The entire performance sequence in Cradle Will Rock.
Oh, that's it? Crap. I could keep going.
Many thanks to Manders for the inspiration. If you haven't yet, go check her page out. Good times.