Monday, October 24, 2005

Divine Deal-making

I thought this joke* was funny:

It was his first Christmas as a married man, but Pete had put off buying a Christmas present for his wife until the last possible minute--Christmas Eve, in fact. He was in a frenzy to find one for her, but only could go shopping on his one-hour lunch break. He sped over to the local mall, which was (of course) packed with shoppers. As he sped up and down the full parking lot rows, dodging slow people carrying more bags than they could handle, he began to pray, "God, I know I haven't been your most obedient servant, but I'm really in a bind here, so I'll make you a deal. If you can help me get a close parking spot, I will not only go to church tomorrow, but I'll go every week from now on, I'll start giving to the church and the poor out of every paycheck, and I'll even stop partying every weekend and devote myself to serving others."

Just then, the heavens opened, the sun shone down onto the parking lot, and a wide, empty space appeared at the very front of the row Pete was driving up.

As Pete pulled into the space, he said, "Nevermind, God, I found one."


===

*Actually, to be honest, I shamelessly stole this joke and embellished it. I found it here.

No comments: