Thursday, June 17, 2004

"Hello, Ohio, the back roads..."

Good morning all.

I wanted to take a moment to welcome the new and returning readers, as well as those who may be lurking, or have recently come out of the shadows. I appreciate you all very very much. As you've seen, I have days where I feel hopeless and restless, and question the point of ever posting again. But at the end of the day, I like hearing from you guys, and I like being able to communicate with you, however minimally, through this format. So, here's the pledge: barring any unforeseen major life events, if you keep reading, I'll keep writing. I'm renewing my contract with you. Picking up my two-year option. I'll be around these old blue buildings for a while longer. So rest assured, the few who fretted my disappearance. No worries.

I really appreciate the feedback from the poll question. Please keep commenting, especially those of you who don't comment often. See, I have this...friend who is curious about the subject. Yeah, that's the ticket.

General news: I need to find an apartment. My lease is up at the end of next month. Prayers would help, thanks.

How about them Pistons!! I'm so a bandwagon fan now, I will gladly admit that. Anyone who beats the Lakers in the Finals rocks my ever-lovin face off. And they smoked the Lakers. It was beautiful.

Well done, Cubbies, winning the past three games against the Astros. Winning tonight would be a four-game-series sweep. Let's go, boys.

I feel like i should comment on the Southern Baptist Convention debacle, but I don't know enough about it to do so, so that will have to wait. Manders mentioned it, so you could check her opinions on the issues. Myles wrote a bit about it too, you can check that out. In fact, you should read his page. Good stuff. He likes Bill Mallonee and VOL, so that should be some indie cred right there.

Indie cred--the most valued currency in the post-modern age.

Despite Jess' mocking, I still like 50 First Dates. Rented it last night. Funny stuff.

I'm thinking of going to see "Saved!" this weekend. While my Southern Baptist instincts immediately say, "no! can't watch it! must protest it! picket signs and fiery rhetoric! yeeeeeaaaaaaaa! *Howard-Dean-scream* ", I feel oddly compelled. I think it's because I grew up in Christian schools, and I've seen the evil underbelly of private education, from both sides of the "big desk". One article I read mentioned that the writer/director had a similar background. I'm curious to see a less-graceful take on the Christian school system. Could be interesting, especially in light of the recent failed attempt on the part of some SBC members to convince the conference to pull there kids from public schools and put them in Christian schools. Plus, I think it could be a good barometer for seeing how non-believers think of Christians, the "relevance" movement, and faith in general. Not to say that any film takes the place of face-to-face interaction, but you get the idea. Thoughts? Anyone seen the film yet?

Oh, hey, I promised you a story about the Singles ministry at church, didn't I? I guess I could oblige. Well, a disaster was averted last week. See, the youngest sector of the Singles Department at church (ages approximately 20-29) have decided to distance themselves a bit from the Singles Department et al., and forge our own identity, to perhaps boost attendance a bit. The problem was that after two meetings, we were still struggling for a name and a cohesive mission statement. Too many cooks, and all that. Finally, someone decided they wanted to name the group after the Greek word for "house," the pronounciation of which is similar to the sound dolphins make. And as it turns out, I wasn't the only one who hated it. In fact, most of the group hated it. So on Saturday's meeting, it was overwhelmingly voted down, and replaced by an idea that I helped form. I was pleased. That being accomplished, we went out for Mexican food, then came back to Tony's house to watch "Along Came Polly" (which was awful). Then went out again and played pool for two hours. A good Saturday.

Wow, that was a wicked boring story. Apologies. I'll try to make it up to you somehow.

But since i can't think of a way to do so, I'll distract you and run away while you're back is turned.

*pointing* "HEY LOOK!!!"

*footsteps retreating*

No comments: