Friday, December 17, 2004

Two-fer Post: Book Reviews and Holiday Shame

Capsule Book Reviews:

Americana, by Don Delillo: All in all, it was a Delillo book. As you read, it feels IMPORTANT and MODERN. With each page, your mind is screaming, wow, this book is so MODERN and GOOD. At least, "GOOD" like the critical establishment's opinion of what is GOOD. Delillo's the type of writer that will be forever used as an example in college lit survey classes, as the archetypical late-20th century American Novelist. So his work is inherently infused with this sense of being GOOD and IMPORTANT. But all that aside, it is clearly, as Marty indicated, Delillo's first book. You get flashes of the brilliance that is to come, but other than that, it kind of wanders (like the protagonist) before ending up...well, nowhere. It felt like it was building up to something, an epiphany, a turned corner, some kind of inspiration. And then it just withers and dies. I don't know if that's what he's getting at, but I just didn't like it.
Final Word: "Eh."

Franny and Zooey, by J.D. Salinger: Why haven't I read this sooner? Wow. Awesome. I hated--HATED--"Catcher", and enjoyed "Nine Stories"--but F&Z, I loved. Great. I'm a little of both of them, but yes, I have to say I lean more towards being Zooey. So great. Especially the ending. "You know who that Fat Lady is, buddy? It's Christ. It's Christ Himself." Wow.
Final Word: Yeah, that pretty much says it. "Wow."

Currently reading: "The Essential Groucho Marx." About to start "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb.

+++++

A Holiday-themed Confession

Holiday shame. You betcha. Outside of two cards sent to beat out winter break's imminent exodus, I haven't sent any Christmas cards. It's a week before Christmas Eve, and I haven't sent out my cards. Holy crap I suck. For many on the list, it's the only contact I have with them. (Which is equally sad.)

So yeah, that's it. Just wanted to make a confession. Holiday shame.

The line of stone-throwers may be formed to the left. Please make sure you are *this* tall in order to participate.

No comments: