Tuesday, January 24, 2006

This is Not the Greatest Song in the World.

I have a clock radio with a CD player that you can set so it plays the CD as your alarm. I've rotated out several songs over the years, but most recently, I have been using a mix CD that my bruthah Kelly made for me. The first track on this disc (the one my alarm uses) is "Tribute" by Tenacious D.**

So this morning, after going to bed way too late last night, and setting the alarm for what seemed like way too early, I hit the snooze (as best as I can figure it) about 14 times.

[Understand, this requires me to actually get up out of my bed. I perfected this in college, when I placed my alarm clock over 10 feet from the end of the bed, and still hit the snooze multiple times each morning. Any former roommates of mine can attest to this.]

At any rate, 14 times, I heard some segment of the beginning of this song. And somehow, in my half-REM-buried mind, I dreamt (but only between 6 a.m. and 7:25 a.m., mind you) that "Tribute" was the new fad in worship music--that church music ministers across the country were using it in their services.

Blame it on all the reading I've been doing lately--the topic of church music has been a hot one among the God-blogs this month. But I specifically remember that, in my dream, even "luminaries" like Rick Warren were coming out in support of the song as part of the new wave of sacred music. (There were a few others, but now I can only remember faces instead of names. But I'm positive Slick Rick was one of them.)

If you're familiar with the song at all, you can appreciate how wrong such a notion is.

On the other hand, "Tribute" deals more with spiritual warfare than most actual church music. So there's a case to be made...



**As a side note and by means of explanation, this is not an endorsement of the D. In fact, the music of Tenacious D is, on the whole, wrong on about 37 levels. So don't listen to it. And if you do, don't blame me.

No comments: