Monday, August 16, 2004

Weekend Update

But with no Jimmie Fallon (played out), no Tina Fey (liberal vixen that she is--rawr), and no snappy jokes or dialogue (keeping my expectations low).

'Twas a good weekend. The last weekend of Houston's version of Shakespeare-in-the-Park, the Houston Shakespeare Festival, so I got to see two shows. Friday night was "Macbeth" (the Scottish play), with a nice Genghis Khan theme. No, seriously. Twelfth-century Mongol raider costumes and weaponry. The "blasted heath" was a bamboo forest. But it was a really good show. They kept the script virtually untouched, and really gave it a whirl. At the end of Macduff and Macbeth's battle, when Macbeth is on his back on the ground, Macduff raises his sword to behead the fallen despot, and starts to bring it down with a yell, as the lights drop. Pretty rad.

Saturday was entertaining as well. My four friends and I (including my current crush, thanks) took a picnic lunch to the outdoor theater, and ate together before enjoying "The Taming of the Shrew"--Western-style. It's not as bad as it sounds. Okay, maybe a little. But still funny. And the actor playing Petruchio really carried the show, in my estimation. He held nothing back, and just went for every laugh he could. Overall a good time. Afterwards, the group (minus the sleepy Mr. Cain) went back to my apartment to revel in the goodness that is "Kill Bill: Volumes 1 and 2". Beauty.

Sunday, after church and lunch, I got to hang out with my dear friend and former co-worker, in town for the week. Getting to talk to him was a joy and a refreshment. He and his family have been overseas as missionaries for the past year, in a foreign country hostile to the Gospel. He has already told me a few, let's say, worrisome stories. But God is faithful, as always. I'll enjoy spending time with him this week.

Sad news...pathetic, really: I am now hopelessly addicted to Smallville. It's a disease. Tony loaned me Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. So that's what I'll be doing for the next few weeks. Such a good freaking show. If I ever talk to Daryl again, I'll have to take bad all the negative comments I made in ignorance of how awesome the show is.

Programming Note: Coming soon on PBB--we're gonna look at one of the most controversial speeches ever given, and break it down section by section. I'm very excited about this. The first segment will (hopefully) be posted this evening. A hint about the speech: It involves violence, love, adultery, murder, wealth, poverty, religion, and hypocrisy.

Shout-outs: Will does it, so why can't I?

  • The Chicago Cubs. DO NOT CRAP OUT in the next two months.
  • Team Iraq soccer for winning two straight games. It's easier to do without the shackles of oppression, isn't it?
  • All my left-leaning readers who bristled at the last statement.
  • Lady J in the Sahara. May the peace of Christ be with you. Thanks for B. He'll be home soon.
  • Antidisestablishmentarianism. Cheers for being the longest word i know.
  • Something else keen.
  • Bullets, for making lists look friggin sweet.
  • My secret ninja moves I learned from the government.
  • Jess. And Dory. Sitting in a tree.
  • People born in October. It's almost our birthdays! (A month and a half="almost")
  • Cake. (Both the dessert and the band. But not the yellow stuff Saddam wanted.)

Addendum: Okay, no essay tonight. Apologies. I need a little more prep time. First installment tomorrow. Very exciting.

No comments: