Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Nothing to Hide?

The great thing about the site counter is that you find out how people find you.

So when someone googles (or Yahoo-searches, rather) "Dave Mitchell blogspot", there's a good chance that they're looking for my page specifically.

And I'm okay with that. But only on this condition: what is said on the page, stays on the page.

I think I have an idea who performed this search. I mentioned running this site to a new friend on Friday, and for some reason told him what service I used. I don't usually tell people about my site, unless I've known them for a while, so it was odd that I did this time.

I don't know for sure that it's him. For all I know, it could be someone else looking for a different guy entirely. But I can't take that chance.

In case it is who I think it may be, all I have to say is, "Dude, that's cool, but if you mention this site to anyone in class, I swear I'll go Macduff all over your ass."

That's what I get for opening my big mouth.

It's weird though. I've used my real name for the duration of this blog, I've made little or no attempt to hide where I work or what I do. I've all but given you my address. And yet, I still feel like I have some level of privacy. Knowing full well that most of you, I'll never run into on a regular basis, that you wouldn't know me from Adam. And the rest of you know me well enough that nothing I say here will shock or offend you much.

But adding new people in the mix, people I go to work or church with, that I still don't know that well at all--that's the dangerous thing. That's the scary thing. I don't feel like I want to share any of the ugliness in me with them yet, because it will affect how we act toward each other every time I pass them in the hall at work, or sit next to them at Sunday School.

That's the dilemma, then. If this blog is to be more public, in this sense, it will become less personal. I won't talk about girls I'm falling for or problems I'm going through. The defensive wall will come up. I don't want that.

So, mysterious searcher from the Central Time Zone who yahooed my name and blogspot at around 11:30 this afternoon, do me a big favor and sign in below, or email me, so I don't have to wonder about who you are.

After that, feel free to visit anytime. But remember, the Macduff threat still stands.

No comments: