Tuesday, October 21, 2003

I'm feeling kinda basic today...

For some reason, I felt the need to post, this afternoon. Don't know why, really. I don't have anything much to say. Nothing's going on. And yet here I am. Curious.

So...how's it going...

Seriously, I don't have anything pressing to say...

I'm reading a good book. It's called House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. Those of you who've read it will be pleased to hear that I'm enjoying it immensely. One of the most thorough and stylistically aggressive debut novels i've ever read. Plus, it panders to my Eliot-like obsession with footnotes. It's disturbing and beautiful.

I'm playing a lot of video games. Too much, I think. I have embarked on my own personal conquest of Kingdom Hearts. Those who have read the previous book will remember my previous encounter with Kingdom Hearts, and my attempted (adopted) conquest of it. Well, now that I have home-field advantage, so to speak, I can devote more time to it. ...Sad, really.

Piper would call that a wasted life. Then again, Piper makes me feel guilty for not being called to be a missionary. So I don't know exactly how much I weigh Piper's admonitions.

But then again, he has a point, and I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

See, cuz everything that is not related to Kingdom building is a waste of time. That's what Piper says. And Piper's right, cuz that's what the Bible says.

So what do I do with my shiny new toy? Or my television? My tickets to movies and concerts? Do I give it all up? Spend all my time ministering to the poor and needy? Is that how I'm supposed to go through life?

Apparently, yes. Cuz if I don't, then I'm wasting my life. Living for the world. Or whatever you like to call it.

It would be the pinnacle of selfishness to continue to live like this. To repay the sacrifice of Christ by fawning over "must-see-TV".

But at my core, I am a selfish, sinful person. And I'm having a hard time trying to change that.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll get back to my book.

No comments: