Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The PBB Cool Ten (6/4-6/10)

10. 23-33. And yet, I'm hopeful. Not just about the complete dismantling of the Astros yesterday, but because the Cubs have won their last two series, against the top teams in the division, the Reds and The Enemy(TM) . Keep it up, fellas. Derrek's almost back. Mark's starting next week. It's time to make the run, and right in time for the June marathon of division rivals.
9. Hey, movie geeks--check this sweetness out.
8. Required PBB listening--on the AOL Music Page, the album, "Strumming With the Devil." It's a folk/bluegrass cover album of early Van Halen songs. I was never much of a fan of Van Halen, but I'm listening to this album for the third time right now, and may pick it up for the trip. That's how good it is.
8a. Also on the AOL page: "The Worst of" Jefferson Airplane, new albums by Cheap Trick, Live, and The New Cars, a re-issued Depeche Mode album, the "Cars" soundtrack, and the Very Best of DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. But you'd better listen to the VH album first.
7. Good (?) Slate reviews for the Godfather video game and the new book by my afore-mentioned second-favorite author.
6. For you MySpace kids, well, here you go. But I don't ever check it, and I won't post on it, so don't get your hopes up (or, your panties in a bunch, if you're anti-MySpace).
5. I think this is pretty sweet. If I weren't teaching SunSco somewhere else, I'd check this church out.
4. If you're on a diet, and you've gotta have ice cream, I don't think you can do much better than this. I've been chowing down on some mint chocolate chip, myself. Umm, and by "chowing down," I mean, eating very controlled and small portions, of course. Ahem.
3. I finished reading the new Peretti/Dekker thriller, "House," last night. Since it's 6/06/06, I figure it's only appropriate to review this creepy supernatural thriller today. Expect the review to post this evening. Also, the next post in the "What I'm Learning" series will be up sometime tomorrow. So look for that, if you're so inclined.
2. I appreciate the good discussion that has occured on this page. One thing I'm always thankful for is that, when we disagree about things, we don't resort to being mean and nasty. I can't tell you how many other blogs suffer from such things. So thank you all for showing yourselves to be mature and considerate. That's tremendously cool.
1. Knock, knock. (Who's there?) Dave's vacation. (Dave's vacation who?) Dave's vacation is next week!


AND A SPECIAL HONOR: THE FIRST-EVER INDUCTEE(S) INTO THE PBB COOL TEN "HALL OF FAME":

This honor goes to "The Greatest Generation." On this day 62 years ago, brave American soldiers stormed the beaches of Normandy, and changed the course of world history. Please take a moment and honor their bravery and sacrifice, fighting an enemy that did not attack them on behalf of a people who could not or would not defend themselves. Their commitment, their dedication, their awe-inspiring grit and courage, make them heroes.

See video here, here, here, and here.

No comments: