Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Odds and Ends

[opening music: "All Night" by Sam Phillips]

I'm still hung up on this "Doctor Zhivago" issue. I mean, why the hell do people find this romantic? There is longing, there is passion, yes. But there is very much betrayal and selfishness and heartache. One coworker (yes, i'm discussing this here at work) commented, "It must be the music and the setting, mainly; people get swept up in that." And I can see that. The visuals and the music are used to provoke an emotional response, but I kept being pulled back out of the film by the very idea of what was going on. I don't know why people have a hard time understanding this very simple fact: there is absolutely nothing noble about infidelity. Nothing. There is nobility in sticking it out, if you're in a less-than-ideal situation.** Which, by the way, the good Doctor wasn't. But cheating is despicable. So, chalk Dr. Z up on my list of the most UNromantic movies ever made.

[**Though I shouldn't need to, I will go ahead and pause to mention that I'm not talking about "sticking it out" in abusive situations. No one should EVER put up with abuse. But, at the same time, abuse doesn't excuse infidelity, either. However, that's neither here nor there in this context.]

===

Despite the discouragements of better angels, I bought something frivolous yesterday whilst purchasing laundry supplies. (Sidenote: Target will be the end of me, financially.) I picked up the Best of INXS compilation CD (on sale for nine bucks, I justified to myself). As you may be aware, I've become quite a fan of the TV program, "RockStar:INXS." The band's original lead singer, Michael Hutchence, committed suicide in 1997. Now, the band is using this contest to find the best new rock vocalist to replace him and front the band.

As much as I hate American Idol, which this contest vaguely resembles, I've really gotten into this show, and have watched it regularly since Week 1. There are a few key differences between this show and its pop-crap counterpart. Namely, the performers are really talented rockers, many from small, local bands. They come from all over the US, Canada, and Austrailia. And most importantly, while the viewers, by voting for their favorites, "select" the bottom three, it is the band alone that sends people home, because they are the ones who will be stuck with the winner. It's been an entertaining ten weeks or so.

One unexpected side effect of watching this show was that I've become a fan of INXS' music, which I wasn't familiar with beforehand. (Part of their nefarious plan, I'm sure.) Each week, the "bottom three" sing an INXS song to survive. So I've heard a good deal of their "hits" over the weeks watching the show. Thus, buying the CD. And if my favorite performer wins (Go Marty Casey!), I may even look into tickets to the next concert tour. No, I'm not joking. I've drank the Kool-Aid, and it's overpowering cherryness tastes good.

===

I've been enjoying an online comic called "Sluggy Freelance." I would link to the homepage, but they're on this weird space pirate kick right now, so that may not be as funny. It's a serial comic, after all. I'm slowly working my way through the archives. Quite amusing. Try starting here, with the introduction of the requisite "cute, talking animal"--unfortunately, one with a homicidal streak. (Beware of bunnies with big knives...on the Ides of March.)

===

Nine days. While some storylines may go south, I'm pleased to see that The Powers That Be are ramping up the mythology-related storylines (Fortress of Solitude, Brainiac) this season. Who's got two thumbs and is a big, happy geek? This guy. For those of you who missed it--okay, all of you--last season's super-sized finale is being reaired on Thursday at 7.

===

[interim music: "On Love, In Sadness" by Jason Mraz]

===

Hmm. Ran out of "odds." So here's the end.

[closing music: "Tongue-Tied" by Aqualung]

No comments: