Wednesday, July 28, 2004

The most important question Americans face today...

...is "Which Simpsons character is coming out of the closet and having a same-sex marriage???"

This, according to the show's producers, is an upcoming episode plot.  Homer will get ministerial credentials over the internet and will begin performing gay marriages in Springfield.

(The fact that gay marriages aren't there already may indicate that the mystery state where Springfield is located is not Massachusetts?)

So who will it be?  That's the question burning in the mind of the American public.  Time for your predictions.  Let 'er rip.  The obvious choice is Smithers, but Matt Groenig doesn't go with obvious choices.  So far I've heard theories that it might be one of Marge's sisters, Lenny/Carl, the Simpson's pet, and others.  It could be Moe--that story was done famously in "All in the Family" and might make a good tribute episode.  Or even Comic Book Guy.  What do you think?

I guess I should address the "moral implications" of this issue, such as they are.  The local talk radio station was trying to make this into a big deal.  Call me calloused, but I just don't think it is.  The question raised was "do we need a kids' cartoon show to start doing "gay" stories now?"  But for anyone who has seen the show, the obvious answer is "when have they not?"  I mean, come on, Smithers is obviously gay.  Up until now, it's been strictly innuendo, but if he "came out", would anyone really be surprised?  But it's always been there.  I heard one person say that you can tell, because the gay characters always have the exaggerated eye-rolling and smiles.  I don't know if this is always true, but I've seen it sometimes.

But a gay cartoon character has already been done.  (Paging Mr. Garrison.)  So my question is, should we really be surprised by this?  And aren't there bigger issues to focus on?

I don't know.  Maybe I am too calloused.  It's just that I think that in the light of the barrage of gay characters on TV and films of the past several years, any outrage or indignation about a Simpsons character is just a bit silly.

 Maybe that's just me.  *Eyes rolled*

(Just kidding.)

No comments: