Thursday, November 20, 2003

A Good Cause

Although I'm not down with some of Adbusters' ideology, I think that this is a good cause. I plan on participating. Maybe you should too.

The day after Thanksgiving is the biggest consumer feeding frenzy in our society, bringing out the absolute worst in people as they move from store to store like pack animals, buying and buying and buying. They snarl and curse at each other in the store aisles, in the parking lot, on the highway. And somehow, everyone thinks this is normal.

Buy Nothing Day was begun a few years ago to combat this false normal. People who participate make a conscious choice not to buy anything--gas, food, Christmas presents--on the day after Thanksgiving. Yes, you'll miss the "big sale" that "everyone else" will take advantage of. Yes, your Christmas shopping may cost you a few dollars more. But what will you gain? Keeping your sanity, for one. A few extra hours to sleep in that day (if you don't have to work). And maybe having a little more peace instead of stress.

Like I said, I'm not totally down with Adbusters...yet. I'm not anti-capitalist, and I'm not a reactionary. I don't protest, I drink Coke, I eat at McDonalds once in a while.

But this feels right to me. Thanksgiving is about recognizing the blessings of who and what you have, not what you can buy the next day. Being content is worth more than getting a TV for twenty bucks less than retail price. My contentment is worth more than that.

Do what you want on BND. It's cool. Personally, I think I'm going to sleep in, have PBJ for lunch, and read until sunset. And that, my friends, will be a good day.

No comments: