Thursday, January 10, 2008

Songs for Unmusical Bloggers

(Or, "This is What I Get for Reading Too Much Bob Dylan")

Want a poor imitation of a Dylan-inspired folk-gospel song? Sure, we all do.

(kinda along the lines of "I Want You," tune-wise; i'm no musician, so if you musical folks want to put this to some kinda music, be my guest)

===

I stumbled through my lifetime
Always thirty seconds late
And I’ve worn the scars and stains of
Every purple sin I ate.
I’ve been beaten by bad choices
And I’ve wasted all my time
Spending too much of my money
Losing too much of my mind

Then a man with living eyes
Grabbed me by my ink-colored sleeve
Said, “Get up out of this pigpen, boy,
It’s time you oughta leave.”
And he pointed down the road with
His arms out open wide
Said “if you follow me from here on out,
You’ll get a better ride.”

I told him I was poison,
And he said I could be well.
All I needed was his mercy
And all I gave up was my hell.
Then he told me that the whole deal
Was as plain as my own face:
Give up trying to be perfect
And then grab ahold of perfect grace.

Cuz what I am
What I am
What I am, it ain’t who I’ll be.
What I am
What I am
What I am, it ain’t who I’ll be.

I’d never realized before
That I'd always been a slave
Thinking I could get to Heaven
If I’d just learn to behave.
But behaving is like flying
Man can’t do it on his own
He needs bigger wings to carry him
Up to the heav’nly throne.

Well, Son of Man, I know you are
Exactly who you said.
You lived a life of righteousness,
You raised up from the dead.
You sit enthroned in glory
The King of every King
You offer me redemption
A song that I was born to sing.

Sometimes I still feel broken
Even though you said I’m healed
And I wrestle with my demons
Though your vic’try’s been revealed
But each time that I’ve abandoned hope
You answered, "Simply look,
Lift your eyes up to the hills, my boy,
And read the words of my red-stained book."

Cuz who you are
Who you are
Who you are isn’t who you’ll be
Who you are
Who you are
Who you are isn’t who you’ll be.

Cuz what I am
What I am
What I am, it ain’t who I’ll be.
What I am
What I am
What I am, it ain’t who I’ll be.

He ain’t through
He ain’t through
He aint through, God ain’t through with me.

No comments: