Wednesday, April 14, 2004

You Kids Don't Seem to be Paying Attention...

On April 2, I posted Volume 1 of my "desert-island" ultimate movie/series list. But there were only 13 of the promised 25 entries. But nobody noticed. The last line was a specific movie-related reference. I didn't make it obvious that I wanted you to guess, but I was hoping someone--anyone--would mention the reference in response or comment in some way about it. I was waiting for this to occur before posting the second half of the list. But no one seems to be paying attention. Or it was too obtuse of a reference to be interesting.

My impatience has overwhelmed my need to be understood/appreciated. Here then, with little fanfare, is the finale.

Twenty-five Movies or Series That I Can Watch Forever (Volume 2)

The Indiana Jones Trilogy: I was missing a Harrison Ford entry, and nearly put The Empire Strikes Back, but really, Harrison Ford will always be Indiana Jones. "Doctor Jones" is the best modern example of a Saturday matinee hero. The whip swinging is still cool, and the rolling boulder sequence from "Raiders..." is one of the most famous action sequences of the past twenty years. How can you deny a hero who always gets the girl, always comes *this* close to getting killed, and still walks away with that devilish grin on his face? Classic.
"You're named after the dog???"

Saving Private Ryan: The first half-hour alone makes this one of the greatest movies of all time. Some will argue (negatively) that it does for war what "The Passion..." did for religious art, but Spielburg really redeemed for a lot of his cinematic sins with this gritty, harrowing film. The psalm-quoting sniper is still my favorite of them all. Or Giovanni Ribisi as that unfortunate medic.
"Hey, pal... *points to self* Juden. Juden."

Braveheart: See, I'm getting out all my action movies before I start listing the romantic ones. Gosh, what can you say about Braveheart? Thrilling story, epic themes, great music, awesomely bloody battles. Stephen of Ireland is a riot. Big ups to Angus McFadyen as Robert the Bruce. But really, what makes it work is the star. Mel Gibson is one terrific actor. And what man among you can truthfully claim that he doesn't get teary-eyed at the end of the movie, when Wallace screams out "Freedom" as his last word on earth? Come on, that's good cinema.
"I could crush you, like a worm." "Do it then."

Say Anything: The tagline of this movie starts out, "To know Lloyd Dobler is to love him..." Couldn't be more true. Cameron Crowe's film seems to resonate so well. Much of that goes to the performance of John Cusack, who is, undisputably, the man. My favorite scenes are the three with Jeremy Piven, and the one with Lloyd's nephew and the punching bag. Any praise I can give this movie wouldn't do it justice. Predictable--maybe. Sincere--indeed so.
"I have hidden your keys! Chill... I love you too. Go to sleep."

Notting Hill: What's with the sentimentality, Dave? Well, I'll tell you. The typical romantic comedy formula (as you know) is: boy meets girl, boy does something stupid to drive away girl, boy breaks his back trying to win back girl, boy wins girl back with his self-effacement and lack of shame. And I'm sick of the formula. So I fell in love with this movie, in which the guy (played to embarrased perfection by Hugh Grant) does absolutely nothing wrong in the relationship (at least nothing in the context of the plot). Unfortunately, his romance with a movie star is thrown for a loop by her actions/inactions. Oh, yeah, and the movie star? Julia Roberts. Great story, nicely shot, fantastic supporting cast, and a nice feel-good experience.
"Do you know what happens when mortals get mixed up with gods?" "Buggered, is it?"

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Oh no, Dave didn't just drop a movie on the list that he's only seen recently... why yes. Yes I did. This is Charlie Kaufman's best work as a writer, a haunted, sentimental mindtrip that gives Jim Carrey the best material he's ever performed in his career. Carrey is flawless, Kate Winslet seems to wear her part like a tailored suit. The supporting cast is great, and the music is perfectly fit to the story (much like the soundtrack to Lost in Translation). I will buy this movie, the day it comes to DVD. Awesome.
"My journal is empty."

The Usual Suspects: Probably my favorite (unspoiled) shocker ending ever. Great story, nicely edited. Kevin Spacey is mesmerizing. I love movies that really challenge the viewer intellectually. Maybe I'm dense, but this one really did me in, the first time.
"You know, back when I was in a barbershop quartet in Skokie, Illinois..."

Hamlet (2000) : Before you purists start heaving chairs, let me explain. This production of the Bard's masterpiece is the most inventive and daring I've ever seen. The most well-known scenes in Hamlet seem to be played the exact same way in every production. This version throws out the traditional readings by completly altering the setting and dynamics, while keeping the dialogue exact. (Some complain that this is distracting; I think it's a perfect example of the flexibility of Shakespeare's words, because the lines seem to flow almost naturally, so that you stop questioning them once the movie gets going.) Ethan Hawke is the moodiest (and youngest) film Hamlet, and though he's no Brannaugh, his performance is well worth noting. Julia Stiles (how I love thee, lady!) plays the best Ophelia I've ever seen. Bill Murray as Polonius (no, really, he's Polonius) was a perfect casting decision, because Murray captures how ridiculously self-important the character seems. While the director sacrifices the weight of the Fortinbras plotline (one minor defect) in the film, the "nunnery" scene between Hamlet and Ophelia is the best I've ever seen. The only major digression was the ending, but the value of the film as a whole almost redeems that choice too. Awesome.
"If you do marry, I'll give you this plague for your dowry: may you be cold as ice, as pure as snow..."

Ten Things I Hate About You: Again with the Shakespeare adaptions. Yes, this is a cheesy teen movie. But it's a hilarious teen movie. One of my cinematic guilty pleasures, I guess. Good dialogue. And the lovely Julia Stiles. Though its ending is drastically different than that of its inspiration (political correctness and women's lib and all that) and though it follows the above-mentioned formula (when will these male leads stop making bets? it only leads to trouble...), I really enjoy this movie.
"Tell me something about yourself, something no one else knows." "...I hate peas."

The Emperor's New Groove: The only Disney film on the list. (The only one bearing the Disney name, anyway. You know, since they own everything.) I don't know why this movie makes me laugh as hard as it does. But it does. If you haven't seen it, I dare you to sit through it without at least chuckling a few times. The gags are smart, the voice actors are great, and the traditional animation is easy on the eyes.
"Kronk, the emperor needs his...drink." "What? Oh--riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... *knowing nod/wink*"

Rushmore: You know, I knew a guy in college who made it to the final round of auditions for the Schwartzman role in Rushmore. Yeah, he didn't make it. Good thing, too. The kid didn't have the chops. Filmed right here in lovely, tropical Houston (I pass the parking lot from the model airplane scene everyday on my way to work), this is my favorite Wes Anderson movie. A great dark comedy which includes another spot-on Murray performance. (Okay, tell me how he didn't win Best Actor this year???) The school production of Serpico was awesome. Feels in some ways like the anti-"Graduate." But I can't explain to you how I make that connection. Could be arbitrary, who knows.
"I saved Latin. What'd you ever do?"

and the finale...

Kill Bill: Unless the second act pulls a "Reloaded" on me, this will be my favorite QT film of all time. I just rented Volume 1 last night, and holy crap, is that a great flick. Profanely beautiful. Amazing fight choreography. Ridiculously violent. Brilliant soundtrack. This is the best action movie I've seen in years, probably ever. And the lovely Uma in a wicked rad role, as a woman so tough she makes Ellen Ripley look like a pushover.
"To get even? Even-steven? I'd have to kill you, go upstairs, kill little Nikki, and then wait for the good Doctor Bell to come home, and kill him. That'd be about square."

No comments: