Thursday, April 29, 2004

General Hoo-ah

I've been badgered a bit about being more...diligent (couldn't think of another "b" word) about posting.

And since my lunch break is waning, I can only provide a minor post.

News in brief:

--Apparently, the Intelligence Department has started to investigate blogs, in their hunt for homegrown terrorists. I have to confess, I'm not really comfortable with that. I understand it, but I don't have to like it. And yes, it's true, if you're not doing wrong, then you have no reason to be worried. But I am all the same. This may be the ultimate victory for the forces of violence who plot evil against us: to leave us no option but to embody Orwell's worst nightmare. Or we could turn into China.

--A question asked on the local talk radio station got me thinking: what is a citizen? What is the proper behavior of a citizen? I am going to look into this idea further, and report to you what I find. Lots of references to Greek philosophers and American revolutionaries, on the way I'm sure. But this concept, the proper behavior and attitude of a loyal citizen, is an important one. Both sides of the American political spectrum hurl bombs at each other about not being a "real" American. Well, let's look at that, shall we? Another good discussion would be great. (Please save all vitriol until then.)

--I've added a few more links from friends. As always, don't blame me for others' occasional foul language. Really, I'm just putting them up so I don't have to drag down my favorites menu. But anyway. Oh, and I fixed Lucas' link too. (Okay, he just changed to a new bloghost... a *cool* one.) So that's fun.

So yeah, that's it. Expect more meat later. Right now, I have to get back to being yelled at by my superiors.

No comments: