Monday, July 24, 2006

Funny how that works.

For me, one of the hardest responsibilities of being a Bible-study/Sunday-School teacher is calling up visitors to the church and inviting them to our class. I always feel uncomfortable talking to strangers on the phone. This may surprise some of you whom I've never met but who read my overly-verbose (and emotional) blog postings. But it's true. If I tried to talk to you on the phone, I'd have trouble. I'd feel really awkward.

So how did God answer my prayer for help with getting my financial feet on the ground? By providing me a part-time job where I call up former patrons of a local theatre company and try to sell them season subscriptions.

Lemme restate that for the folks in the back who can't hear so well: I am calling strangers on the phone and selling them things.

Oh, ho ho, that crazy Creator. He's got a sense of humor.

But what does this mean for me personally? Not only a decent p/t paycheck, but also the eventual destruction of the fears that keep me off the phone. In other words, by the end of this experience, I'll be in better financial straits AND I'll be able to call people up on the church's behalf and not feel nervous.

That, kids, is what the pros call a "win-win." Praise God for that.

No comments: