Monday, January 09, 2006

Dream a Little Dream

[Dream post: meaningless to most of you, but maybe interesting to a few.]

So I'm in a coffee shop of some kind in a city. One of these storefront shops, long and cramped, darker inside than the light shining through floor-to-ceiling storefront windows. I'm sitting at a table with a friend (dunno who), sipping coffee. Playing on a wall-mounted TV is an episode of the show "A Different World." One of the later seasons, where they bring in the token white character. I look up, and the token white character is Aaron Willis. I turn to my friend and say, pointing, "Hey, I know that guy!"

Then, I look over at the front windows (about 30 yards away--I'm in the very back), and I see Willis walking past the shop, wearing an overcoat, and bundled against the cold. I jump up and run toward the door.

I stumble outside, in the blue-white overcast morning, and see him just ahead down the sidewalk. His hair is on the longer side, natural medium brown with blonde highlights. (For some reason, this detail struck me.) I say, "Willis, what the crap, man! How are you?"

He turns around startled. "Oh. Hey." And then keeps walking away. I follow. He's about to walk into a store (or a restaurant, I can't remember exactly which). I'm right behind him, saying, "I haven't seen you in--"

He turns and holds his hand out, halting me. "Come on, man, you can't come in here... I can't be seen with you."

"What? Why?"

He shrugs and nod-gestures inside. I look through the window, and see an old girlfriend with her fiance and a few others. Willis looks down. "Sorry, man." And walks inside.

I'm left out on the sidewalk, confused and vaguely insulted. I shake my head and walk away.

--The End--

No comments: