Thursday, June 09, 2005

Thursday Quick Hits

I've got two days' worth of work to finish by five, so I'll make this as brief as possible. (Yet I'm posting. I know, I know. But I've got a fever--and the only prescription... is more blogging. And cowbell.)

Too many things going on that I want to comment about:

  • Anne Bancroft died. There are so many tributes on the blogosphere that are better than I could ever do. Our own Trav has a post about it. So does Alex (via Sheila). Check it out. "Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon..."
  • Notice to awesome bands and musical acts (particularly, performers such as Ben Folds and Iron and Wine): TEXAS NO LONGER HAS THE PLAGUE. YOU CAN ACTUALLY, YOU KNOW, PLAY A DATE HERE ONCE IN A WHILE. Thank you.
  • Fans of the uber-hit "Lost" should check this out.
  • Fans of Star Wars and John Hughes movies should definitely check this out. (Via Sheila)
  • From the "Sick, Sad World" file: A pregnant teenage couple wanted to end the pregnancy, so the girl punched herself in the stomach, while her partner stepped on her stomach, killing the unborn babies (twins) and ending the pregnancy. What happened to them when the authorities found out? Nothing happened to the carrier (I refuse to call her 'mother') of the babies, because she had a "legal right to abortion." Bad luck for the boyfriend though. Double homicide means an automatic life sentence. So much for justice. (For the record, I consider them equally guilty, not equally innocent.) [via Rob]
  • I really really really wanted to do a great D-Day post, but in the end, I had neither time nor energy to do it justice. So, like a good blogger, I leave it to others to do so, and I link to them. Go here, here, and here.

I'll likely be gone tomorrow, so have a good weekend, friends.

No comments: