Tuesday, June 28, 2005

"They don't look like Presbyterians!"

Last night, I once again enjoyed what would be my sentimental favorite for the title of "best movie of the 1970's."

Such a crisp and clever script! Such music! What casting!

I mean, what other movie can boast a list of cameo performers such as this:

Charles Durning
Edgar Bergen
Milton Berle
Mel Brooks
James Coburn
Dom Deluise
Elliot Gould
Bob Hope
Madeleine Kahn
Carol Kane
Cloris Leachman
Steve Martin (!!!)
Richard Pryor
Telly Savalas
and the legend himself, Orson Welles

No other film is so packed with star power. No other film is so full of life and magic.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

(Arguably) The greatest film of the 1970's

[Okay, okay, so it's not really the greatest. But it's the greatest kids movie, and, in many ways, it's one of my favorites. And I defy any one of you to sit down and watch it now, and not enjoy it immensely. Seriously.]

That's it. Just wanted to throw that out there.

What brought this up? Why did I dust off this cinematic gem?

Because I found a fantastic little site online that I think you (especially you, Josh) should check out: Statler and Waldorf--From the Balcony. Yes, it's the two old guys, except they're reviewing movie trailers, instead of movies. Good times.

So yeah, watching that yesterday made me a little nostalgic for what was a major part of my childhood. So tonight I just might put in one of the other two original films. And I am eagerly awaiting the release of the first season of the show on DVD this August.

No comments: