Tuesday, December 16, 2003

"The local rock group down the street /Is trying hard to learn the song..."

...They seranade the weakened squire
Who just came out to mow his lawn.

Another Pleasant Valley Sunday
Charcoal burning everywhere
Rows of houses that are all the same
And no one seems to care

So Mrs. Grey, she's proud today
Because her roses are in bloom
And Mr. Green, he's so serene
He's got a TV in every room

Another Pleasant Valley Sunday
Here in Status-Symbol Land
Mothers complain about how hard life is
And the kids just don't understand.

So creature comfortable
We hardly know our souls
It makes it hard for me to see
My thoughts they always stray
To places far away
I need a change of scenery

Another Pleasant Valley Sunday...

("Pleasant Valley Sunday" by The Monkees)



*****

I don't know what possessed me to write all that out (by memory, no less).

It was written in the early sixties, and still applies to Americana today, I think.

Take what meaning from it you will, I guess.

No comments: