Thursday, December 18, 2003

Happy Anniversary to Me

If any of you are close readers of this site, and have been for some time, you'll know what today is.

However, since none of you have been with us here at "Anything to Disrupt the Tedium/Perfect Blue Buildings, Inc." for that long, a friendly reminder is in order.

One year ago today, I stopped being Teacher Dave.

In some ways, it doesn't seem like that long ago. On the other hand, it seems longer than just a year. It's like my college memories; some are closer than others, in my mind, and others shift back and forth.

I don't know what to say really. The only reason I bring it up is because, as one person said, I'm the type of guy to remember important days. I'm a compulsive commemorator. Always have been.

I lost my first job ever on this day. That includes the myriad jobs I had growing up. It was the only time I was ever fired...excuse me, I mean it's the only time I ever "resigned" for no reason. I was always leaving jobs for school or moving, and I always gave plenty of notice to my employer, who was sad to see me go. But the loss of the first adult job post-graduation was an intense blow to my self-confidence (really, to my self-importance). And it was a lesson I needed to learn, about identity, about attitude, about circumstances.

It was also a major catalyst in several chains-of-events in the past year. And though it was difficult, I'm glad it happened. Glad they all happened. Best thing for me.

But all that is beside the point. Here I am, one year later, in a great job that I can see myself doing for a while. And I'm happy.

Happy Anniversary indeed.

No comments: