Monday, February 23, 2004

Musical... Notes

The bad puns abound.

Two songs I was recently impressed with:

"Love Song" by 311, from the "50 First Dates" soundtrack: I haven't seen the movie yet, but I heard this track on the radio. Now, anyone who's into 80's music will immediately (or at least, eventually) think: "hey, there was a Cure song called Love Song." Very good, Johnny. You get a gold star. Now, I worry when modern bands cover great classic songs (cuz most modern bands, well, suck), but I was blown away by this faithful verison. They added a backbeat beneath the song, and slowed it down, and it's a near-perfect groove. So yes, I like that.
(The entire soundtrack, not counting Adam Sandler's original "composition", is a series of cover songs played "island style", from what I've read. The reviewer was not that impressed, but the 311 song is still awesome.)

"I Don't Know What to Do With Myself" by The White Stripes, from "Elephant": I just about lost control of the truck when I heard this. My first thought was Cameron Diaz's hysterically awful karaoke version from "My Best Friend's Wedding" [yes, I admit, I watched that...in the theater--but I was on a pseudo-date*]. This version is equally hilarious, mostly because it's nearly as bad. As in "so bad it's good". I didn't know until this afternoon that it was the White Stripes, but now I don't know how I could have missed that. So clearly Jack White screaming the lyrics out. So obviously stripped down was the music. And so so so funny. I'd almost buy the album even if that were the only good track. Good thing it's not. And the second I'm not on the brink of financial ruin, I'm gonna grab it.**


-----


*"pseudo-date": an outing consisting of two people, one of whom is unaware of the other's unspoken affection/longing. In every case, the person who claims to have been on a "pseudo-date" was the amorous half of the pair. The unaware participant would, logically, never use the word, since they were (as stated previously) unaware that such an event was occuring.


** My claims of being in dire monetary straits are exaggerated. All my bills are paid regularly and mostly on time, so no need to worry. However, no financial contributions will be turned away.

No comments: