Monday, December 04, 2006

Early Warning Signs of Writer's Itch

Saw part of "Alex and Emma" on TV yesterday. Yes, it's a sappy and contrived rom-com, but it's still mildy sweet and appealing. And, it also gives an interesting look into the writing process, and the way writers cull their daily lives for inspiration. (The plot is apparently a wink and nod to Doestoyevsky's writing of the novel, "The Gambler." Go figure.)

Which made me think of other movies about writers that I liked, and for the life of me, I was having trouble coming up with more than a couple.

So here's your question of the day: Have any favorite movies about writers and, more importantly, the writing process?

Here are a few I can think of:

Adaptation: Charlie Kaufman's kooky classic.
Wonder Boys: Michael Douglas and his neverending novel. (Film based on a great book, by the way.)
Capote: Phillip Seymour Hoffman was outstanding.

If we're including screenwriters/playwrights, you can probably add "Barton Fink" and "State and Main."

Anything else? C'mon, gimme your best shots. I'm in search of a little cinematic inspiration.

No comments: