Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Vanity of Vanities

I have a small confession to make.

I'm a site counter junkie.

I started using one casually, last Thursday. I thought, "it's no big deal, it's just down there, below the links, out of the way. I'll forget it's even there." In truth, it was a vanity thing. I was curious to see how many people checked my page.

But I didn't stop there. I started clicking on the counter, getting details about how often my site's being pulled up, what Google combinations pull my pages up, how many of the page visits are from the same people.

It got a little out of hand. I began to check it first, before I'd check for comments. It was instant gratification for a former comment hound.

See? See??? This is how they get you. Comment boxes are the gateway drug that lead to site counters. God, what's next? I can hardly imagine.

Is there an AA group for this?
"Hi, I'm Dave, and I'm a site counter addict."

Hi, Dave.

No comments: