Tuesday, May 25, 2004

This is an Actual Phone Conversation with a Consent Editor

Me: Office of Protocol Compliance*, this is Dave.

Her: Yes, I'm calling to check on the status of my protocol.

Me: Sure, what's the number?

Her: 04215.* It went to the meeting this week, and I haven't heard anything back about the consent being approved.

Me: Let's see. [scrambling to pull up documents]. Yes. It was approved with a few contingencies... You should be getting a memo from the OPC* coordinators in the next few days.

Her: I haven't gotten one yet, should I expect it soon?

Me: Yes, ma'am. If it's not already in the mail on its way to you, it should be sent out in the next day or so.

Her: Okay... So can I have your phone number?

Me: [puzzled expression] Sure. My extension is...

Her: No, I mean your home phone number?

[Long pause.]

Me: Can I ask why you need it?

Her: Because I saw you in the meeting, and frankly, I thought you were pretty hot.

[Longer pause]

Me: Well, that's a pretty good trick, considering I wasn't at last week's meeting?

Her: Who said I'm talking about last week's meeting?

[Even longer pause]

Me: Um... I don't think that's a good idea. But thanks.

Her: Really? That's too bad. [stifled giggle]

Me: [thinking "Wait a minute... I recognize that laugh."]

-----

So yes. My pregnant, married coworker. She's oh so funny. The sad thing is, she had me going all the way until she laughed.

The sadder thing is, I'm kinda disappointed it was a joke.



*Not actual names or numbers. You think I'd leak info out like that???

(I'll deliver with the fun vacation stories tomorrow. I'm meeting the folks for dinner tonight. Later.)

No comments: