Friday, April 02, 2004

Twenty-five Movies (or Series) that I Can Watch Forever (Volume 1)

A "desert island" list, in no particular order (you didn't think I'd rate them, did you?) and with less-predictable (but still fun) quotes.

The Godfather Trilogy: The quintessential mobster movie. Also, some of the best storytelling in cinema. I'll even forgive the massive quality gap between 2 and 3, since future auteur extraordinaire Sofia gets offed. (Didn't spoil it for you, did I? You should have known that already, you bum.)
"I'm German-Irish, actually."

Fellowship, Towers, Return: Excellence in story, ensemble, visual technique, and kicka** battle sequences. And the lovely Liv Tyler. I stand by my assertion that this is the greatest trilogy ever. Ever. Take that, George Lucas, you hack.
"There dwells Theodyn, king of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown."

Almost Famous ("Untitled--The Director's Cut"): The first Cam Crowe selection on this list. Rarely does a film come along where even the "bad guys" (Jimmy Fallon should give up music and stick to acting) have some kindness in them. This is a loving tribute to all that is cool about music and the fans that love it. And it stars two of my favorite non-'superstar' actors (P.S. Hoffman and Billy Crudup) and the lovely Kate Hudson.
"Where do you get off? Where do you get "cute"? I'm dark and mysterious and pissed off!"

Shrek: The first of two animated films on the list. Makes me laugh every single time. Seriously. It has a surprisingly witty script, that rips every cartoon, fairytale, and, um, *cough*Disney*cough* cliche in animation history. I can't wait to add Shrek 2 to this list next month.
"And in the morning, I'm making waffles!"

High Fidelity: Awesome book becomes beloved movie. Rarely happens, but it did in this case. Hornby's brilliant novel is fleshed out by John Cusack (one of my favorites), Todd Louiso, and Jack Black (Young Nasty Man!). And several great cameos. I've memorized most of this film.
"Thanks, Boss."

Empire Records: Okay, this movie is total fluff. Predictable story. But holy crap is it funny. One of the most quotable movies I've ever seen. Includes three actors that would go on to star in primetime TV cop dramas. And the lovely Liv Tyler. (Coincidence? Of course not.)
"I don't have to explain my art to you, Warren."

Ferris Beuller's Day Off: The best movie of 1985. I think so, anyway. Will forever be Matthew Broderick's career-defining performance. And he shouldn't see that as a bad thing. A staple in any movie-lover's catalogue.
"This next song goes out to a friend of mine... Cameron, this one's for you."

Casablanca: May be the greatest movie ever. I know, I know, Kane Kane Kane. But as far as total package, this one is it. The ultimate "tough guy" (apologies to Steve McQueen), Humphrey Bogart, and the ultimate beautiful damsel-in-distress, the teary-eyed Ingrid Berman, plus Claude Raines and some Nazis. Clever script and great ending. Perfect.
"I'm shocked, shocked that there's gambling going on here!"

The Philadelphia Story: I won't belabor this one. If you been a PBB reader for any length of time, you've heard me drone on and on. If you haven't, I'll say this much: my three favorite actors of Hollywood past, in a story that's romantic, sad, and hilarious. Everytime this is on TV, I ignore what I was watching before, and watch it instead.
"I promise I'll be 'yar', Dex, really I will."

The first four movies in the Thin Man Series: Not to malign the last two, by any means. But these are my favorites. Nick (William Powell) and Nora Charles (Myrna Loy) are the greatest movie couple ever. This movie defines the ultimate in witty banter between lovers/coworkers. The script pops, and Nick Charles could drink W.C. Fields under the table.
"Come along, Asta."

Pulp Fiction: One of the most profanely brilliant scripts ever. And the lovely Uma. Outside of the Zed sequence (which I can't watch because it makes my skin crawl), this is one I could pop in and watch at any time (except when the fam is visiting). QT is an evil genius, but one you want to work for someday.
"Be cool, Honeybunny."

12 Monkeys: My second favorite Brad Pitt performance, and one of the only reasons I still respect him. Terry Gilliam (another evil genius) directed this gem, which is trippy and cool. Bruce Willis' perennially confused expression actually fits the character in this case. Great flick. (The original "Riddler" has a cameo as a psychologist! How cool is that??)
"And when my father gets angry, the earth shakes! My father is god! I worship my father!"

Fight Club: My favorite Brad Pitt role, and another profanely brilliant script. And Ed Norton rocks my everloving face clean off. Incredible. And Meat Loaf has boobs. Which is fun.
"Slide."

There's Volume One. Expect Volume Two next February...um, April...um, June... okay, so I'm not finished editing.

No comments: