Monday, November 03, 2003

Retraction

I feel that I should make a statement at this point, to my loyal readership.

In my last post or two, I wrote about the novel House of Leaves. While I raved about the novel's structure and ambiguous nature, I barely mentioned any objectionable content. This, I think, was a mistake.

While it embarrasses me to do so, I think I should go into this now.

I have to confess my standards about what I read have lowered dramatically since I was young. Long gone are the days when a single foul word would cause me, in zealous rage, to throw the book down and never pick it up again. (Case in point: Harriet the Spy, chapter 5. Not kidding.)

So thus we have House of Leaves. While it is, as I said, one of the most engaging and fascinating novels I've read in a while, it is also one of the most perverse. There are quite a few references, both implicit and explicit, to sexual situations that no one needs to read about. I was able to skip over most of these, once I realized what was happening. There is also R-rated language throughout.

Like I said, this is a bit embarrassing. Some who read this may lose respect for me. But I am willing to lose the respect of my Christian brothers and sisters, if it means not leading any of you into sin.

No comments: