Thursday, October 30, 2003

"Paging Johnny Truant..."

I'm in a serious state, my friends.

A book has taken over my mind, and I can't stop thinking about it.

I finished House of Leaves last night, and was kinda depressed because I knew that I have only scratched the surface of understanding it.

Today, I went to the House of Leaves Forum online and found that there is so much more that I have missed. Whole discussions of codes and symbolism, conducted by countless people more well-versed in mythology and literary criticism than I will ever be. I was quickly overwhelmed. And now I'm more depressed.

And like our dear Zampano, and the ever truant Johnny, I becoming more and more obsessed with the labrynth that is the novel.

Odds are, I'll read it again. And again. And again. Because I have to find some sort of resolution. Understanding. Like Navidson, I plunge onward, into the void, and risk falling.

It's a shame i have no karen to catch me.

*****

If you're totally confused, that's okay, so am I. The point is, House of Leaves is the most engrossing novel I have read in a while, probably ever. If you feel up to the journey, I must first warn you that there is rampant profanity and "adult" content, but if you can get past that, ...wow. The most stylistically and technically complex and confounding work I've ever seen. It is either genius or madness, and the line between is nearly irradicated by this novel. There are some who will observe the internet furor and laugh it off as "people taking it more seriously than it deserves." And this is true. But damned if it isn't the most mentally-stimulating reading experience I've ever had.

You know what? Nevermind, don't read it. I can only think of one, maybe two people who have ever read this site who should even attempt to read the book. The rest of you (my beloved readers) would be too offended or confused. Trust me.

No comments: