Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Response...

I came to the sad realization last night that I really don't have many friends at all, and that 99% of my contact with any of these people is through blogging. I write, they respond, or vice versa. And that my friends, is sad.

(I actually got to hang out with a human the other night (Mike Norris is the man) and watch some good ol' SeaLab 2021. The first time i've gotten to hang out with a good friend in, what, a month and a half? I'm such a hermit.)

And now today, after making that discovery, I find I must respond to a pointed post that all but called me by name. So, the following:

NAH!
I was referring to the left in general, the Hollywood crowd, the "human shields" who forsook their ideals when it got uncomfortable. The only blatant reference to you was "spewing", because after several days of frustration with the media-types in general, your words just set me off. And as for initiating contact, I called on my own, before I ever saw the post.
So, NAH NAH!

I would like to make an addition to my previous political rant. I don't agree with the crowd that says if you're anti-war, you're anti-American. I have actually had arguments with my parents over this. My problem wasn't with logical anti-war arguments. I have discussions with my good friend Chris Jones about this issue. And as far as I recall, I don't think I've ever called any citizen beside the John Walker Lindh types "un-american".

My problem is with people who can do nothing more than insult the president. People like Paul Begala and James Carville on "Crossfire" who play to the crowd by mocking the president, taking him out of context, and answering real questions with witty barbs and tired lines. To give you a point of reference, if you've ever seen the movie/play "Inherit the Wind", the "Christian" character who played the William Jennings Bryan-type in the play is the same way. All funny lines, and insults, and sarcasm. But no substance.

That's what I have a problem with. Sarcasm without substance, that's taken as argument. And if any of my readers find themselves in that category, then i have no apologies for what I said.

No comments: