Thursday, April 19, 2007

Update, Linky-Love, and Foreshadowing.

About Scotty: No decision yet. I'm leaning toward a few different options. I'm going to schedule an appointment with a friend on my church's pastoral staff, and talk over a few things with him. At the moment, I'm using all my interwebby-type skills to investigate transitional housing programs and possibilities here in town.

[RANT: It makes me angry that so few churches, especially high-profile megachurches, do practically nothing to directly benefit the homeless in any kind of concrete, longterm way. At best, they have "Feed the Homeless" events, as if they were friggin zoo animals or pigeons in the park. We have been given so much, yet we assume so little is expected of us.]

I have to tell you, I'm a little more hesitant to invite him to stay with me, due to stories like this. (You can call it fear, I'll call it caution; but this story's a reminder not to make any rash decisions.)

But one thing is clear, as I've told a few of you already: this situation has been given to me for a reason, and I'm going to see it through, one way or another.


Linky-Love: This stuff is neato.
  • Got three words for you: "Squirrel, rapping Wordsworth." [h-t: Alarm]
  • "So, she's like Google crossed with 'Subservient Chicken,' but, you know, hot." [h-t: PC]
  • Most of us don't realize the beauty or genius around us, even when it's staring us in the face. Case in point.
  • Nirvana, on a banjo. And it totally works. [PC]
  • My summer movie calendar keeps growing. This Cusack film looks like it could be this year's "Pursuit of Happyness." [h-t: manders]
  • This is just hilarious. Basically, a "Bugs Bunny vs. the Animator" for the computer age. [h-t: Ginge]
  • Cool: Letting celebrities blog about the NHL playoffs. Very Cool: Tom Cavanaugh from the brilliant-but-short-lived TV show "Ed" is one of the bloggers. Really Not Cool: Looks like his Senators are about to knock out my Penguins.
  • This article is pretty funny, unless you're one of those overly-tightly-wound PC types.
  • Any other lit-geeks up for a road/plane-trip? Because a Dickens theme park sounds AWESOME.
  • On a serious note: This series of Pulitzer-Prize-winning photographs made me choke up, and reminded me why I'm glad I work in the field of cancer research. [h-t: team pyro]
  • Music Videos I'm Currently Watching on Yahoo! Launch: "Jolene" by the White Stripes; Chris Cornell's cover of "Billie Jean"; "Portland, Oregon" by Loretta Lynn and Jack White; "Don't Wait" and "Stolen" by Dashboard Confessional; "Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn and John; "Pictures of You (live in Berlin)" by The Cure; "Learn to Live with What You Are" by Ben Folds; "Wind it Up" and "Sound of Your Voice" by Barenaked Ladies; and Bowling For Soup's still-hilarious cover of "London Bridge." Repeated viewings/listenings of those 11 videos have kept me going this week.

Foreshadowing: (n.) 1. to represent, indicate, or typify beforehand. As in a warning, or hint, or clue of something about to happen.

Example:

ETL is coming... in 9 days.

No comments: