Monday, February 24, 2003

Another fun list...

Hey kids, just a quick hi, and another fun list to debate.

Oh, for the record, Will, you're the only person I gave a hard time to about the last one. Consider it a compliment.

Okay, here we go:

TOP FIVE MOST OVERLOOKED ALBUMS IN RECENT CHRISTIAN MUSIC HISTORY

I came up with this yesterday while listening to some of these.

5) "Much Afraid", Jars of Clay--I know, I know, this shouldn't really be on the list, but compared to the success of the first JoC album, this one pretty much went by without a whimper. Correct me if I'm wrong (but have proof). However, this is possibly one of the most perfect albums in Christian music. As far as I'm concerned, there are few albums that, taken as a whole, can beat this one. However, because of the noteriety of the band, I had to knock it back to number five.

4) "Stereotype Be", Kevin Max--again, same issue; famous band or artist puts out a commercially disappointing disc. But you must listen to this one. After two or three times, you'll love it desperately. Kevin said once he was the John Lennon of DCTalk. An interesting thought, even though judging from the cover art, you'd guess David Bowie. But his work on this album is so much more than everyone gave him credit for.

3) "The Consolation of Pianissimo", Dear Ephesus--this is one of the truly great rock-emo albums of Christian music. Lyrically outstanding, musically strong. Even the design of the liner notes kicks tail. If you've really listened to this album, you'd know what I mean. If you haven't, you'll just have to go find it. But good luck.

2) It's a tie:
"Love is against the Grain", Dime-store Prophets: I recently rediscovered this gem, and was blown away by the power and relevance of the songs. Songs dealing with suicide, homelessness, depression, redemption, and guilt--meat and potatoes in a musical world full of junk food. There are a few weak spots on this album, but the standout tracks "Baby's Got a New Dress" (think Black Crowes rock-ballad) and the mind-blowing "Hitler's Girlfriend" make up for them by far. Stellar album.

"Sink or Swim", Waterdeep; "Live at the New Earth", Waterdeep: Okay, so it's a three-way tie. These two independently produced Waterdeep albums capture the early greatness of a truly great band. You're lucky to find either of these at your local record store, but if you do, buy them immediately. You will never regret that. There's too much to say, and too little time to say it. So just trust me. Wow.

And finally...

1) "Red Revolution", Shaded Red: This is probably one of the most underappreciated bands in Christian music history, and their talent deserved more recognition than they ever received. After their catastrophic car accident on a concert tour, and the loss of their drummer, they came back with one of the most perfectly fun rock albums i can remember. I listened to this album literally forty or fifty times before listening to anything else. Sadly, I let a friend borrow it and never saw it again. So now, it's legendary, in my mind. Every song incorporated horns without being ska (not that anything's wrong with that, Will, calm down), and carried a passion and urgency rarely seen in music, period. I wish we could have seen more from this band, but from what i can tell, they've fallen off the face of the earth. Alas.
You may have heard the title track, which begins, "This is a revolution/It starts with me and ends at the back of the church..." YEAH. That band. They're incredible.



There you go, kids. Your turn. My predictions? Trevor's list will have Poor Old Lu as three of the albums, at least, even though he's appreciated and praised them enough to make up for the rest of the world. Will's list? Five Iron, Brave Saint Saturn, any other side band involving Reese Roper, and The W's. Just kidding. Will has pretty good taste. Except for the W's. I'll never let him live that down.

Well, I have to go hunt for my own meat, so I'll see ya later.

No comments: